This article will provides you a full tutorial on how to root your LG V10 phone. This tutorial will be divided in 3 big steps: we will first need to unlock the bootloader, then install the TWRP recovery and finally we will be able to root the device with SuperSU. Simply scroll down below and start following the detailed steps. If you are not sure if you should root your Android device, you might want to read the following article: What is rooting and why root my Android device?
1- Unlock bootloader on LG V10
The first step to root your LG V10 device is to unlock the bootloader. It will allow us to install a custom recovery like TWRP. You may want to backup your device before proceeding, just in case.
- In your phone, enable the USB debugging option located in the Developer options settings.
- Still in the Developer options, enable Allow oem unlock.
- Install ADB and fastboot on your computer. If you are on Windows, download link is here. If you are on Linux or Mac, download link is here.
- Boot your device into bootloader mode. To do so, hold the volume down button in addition to the power button for a couple of seconds. Once the bootloader screen appears, plug your device into your computer.
- Open command prompt if you are on Windows or a terminal window if you are on other OS and type:
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot getvar unlocked
- That’s it, the bootloader of your device is now unlocked! You can now reboot your phone and unplug it from your PC.
2- Install TWRP recovery on LG V10
The second step is to install the TWRP recovery on your phone. It will allow you to install custom packages into the device.
- Download the TWRP recovery file here. Extract the file and place it in a folder in your computer.
- Now boot your phone into bootloader mode again (explanations on how to do this in step 1.4). Once the bootloader screen appears, plug your phone into your computer.
- Now go in the location where you placed the TWRP recovery file and open a command window in that folder. To do so, hold shift, right click and select Open command window here.
- It is now the time to flash the recovery. To do so, type the following into the command window (let say that file_name.img is the name of the image file):
fastboot flash recovery file_name.img
- That’s it, the TWRP recovery is now installed on your phone! You can now reboot your phone and unplug it from your computer.
3- Root LG V10 with SuperSU
Last step, but not least! With the two preceding steps correctly done, we are now able to root our LG V10 device. Before proceeding with this, you will want your device to be at least 60% charged.
- Download the SuperSU package here and transfer zip files into your device’s internal storage, in any folder.
- Now boot your phone into custom recovery. To do so, simply follow the same directions as in step 1.4 (that is, hold volume down and power key for a couple of seconds).
- Open the TWRP main menu and select the install option.
- Select the SuperSU file you’ve transferred earlier in your device.
- Once installed, simply reboot your device and it will now be rooted!
I hope you liked this tutorial on how to root your LG V10 Android device. If you have encountered any problems during the installation, please share it in the comments below and I will try to help you as fast as I can. Enjoy your new rooted phone 🙂